President & CEO
- Family Services of Northeast Wisconsin Inc
- Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Category: Executive-President and Chancellor
- Posting Date: 03/11/2021
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
For the past 7 years, Family Services' current President & CEO, Jeff VandeLeest, who is approaching retirement in June 2021, has successfully led the organization and been a strong leader in the community. Prior to being the President & CEO, Jeff served as Family Services' Executive Vice President for 8 years and as the Senior Vice President for 10 years. Family Services wishes Jeff and his family all the best in this new phase of their lives and express deep gratitude for his service to our community.
Family Services' mission is to protect, heal and care for the most vulnerable people in Northeast Wisconsin by annually serving children, families and individuals through life's challenges and transitions. Family Services is a non-profit, human services organization with an $18 million annual operating budget and a strong reputation in the State. Offering dozens of programs that support the people of Northeast Wisconsin during challenges and transitions in their lives. The programs and services help solve complex community issues such as human trafficking, child abuse, sex crimes, violence, homelessness, and addiction. Since 1899, Family Services has served as a critical resource to families as they navigate their lives. It is the oldest human services agency in Green Bay and serves over a dozen counties across Northeast Wisconsin. Family Services is continuously evolving to meet the ever-growing needs of our communities to ensure that families are strong, children are thriving, and individuals are healthy.
Family Services cares for children, families, and individuals in need, protects them from harm, and heals those that have been hurt by abuse and neglect. Staff members use a trauma-informed approach to help individuals reconnect to their family and their community while helping them reach their goals for a bright future. In times of need, in times of challenge and in times of crisis, Family Services is available to help. Whether it is providing support for a baby born into a high-risk family, safe shelter for homeless youth, or immediate intervention for a teen contemplating suicide, Family Services and its caring staff is improving the lives of thousands of children and families in our communities each year.
The President & CEO is directly accountable to the Board of Directors and is responsible for providing leadership and direction to assist in formulating vision strategy, and policies that successfully guide the organization. The President & CEO co-facilitates all Board meetings and is an ex-officio member of all committees. The President & CEO keeps the Directors informed of affairs and activities of the organization and alerts the Board of changing community needs which may require program and/or budget modification. Moreover, the President & CEO provides leadership and partners closely with the Vice Presidents and other senior staff with preparing the budget, generating required income, maintaining sound fiscal control, and positioning Family Services for future growth.
The President & CEO will exercise sound judgment in appraising situations, making decisions, and planning and directing work. The President & CEO must ensure the organization is operated in such a manner as to ensure maximum benefit to the clients and the community. Within the guidelines of the organization's programs, policies, and procedures, the President & CEO is responsible for providing leadership to the organization and has commensurate authority in all aspects of organization administration and operations.
Essential leadership responsibilities
Resource Development and Community Relations
- Maintain and enhance relationships with local, county and state agencies.
- Assure adequate funding for all organization programs from both public and private sources including individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Engage in ongoing financial planning, including the preparation of the annual operating budget, grants budgets, and purchase of service agreements.
- Represent the organization as its official spokesperson to local, state, and national groups.
- Maintain a strong public presence in a variety of communities.
- Coordinate with other organizations, officials, and citizens in planning for community services.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with current and potential major donors.
- Develop public interest and support in Family Services; understand and articulate the objectives and benefits of exceptional community social services.
- Create and maintain meaningful relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
Programs, Services, and Operations
- Oversee the work of various programs for the effective and efficient operation of the organization.
- Champion an organizational climate and culture which attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse and high-quality team.
- Oversee the implementation of the management information system that satisfies the organization's informational needs.
- Work closely with direct reports to determine personnel requirements; Responsible for employment and engagement of all staff.
- Provide for a formalized comprehensive and effective staff development program to assure continued development of each employee.
- Establish sound supervisory practices, including ongoing and periodic evaluation.
- Direct efforts at systematic data collection to evaluate program's impact.
- Partner with other community data gathering efforts that could impact families and the organization programs.
- Actively listen to assess the needs of the community and its stakeholders and communicate accurate information concerning process, plans, and procedures.
- Keep abreast of current trends, and innovations in the field, as well as relevant public policy and legislative developments.
Board Leadership and Governance
- Give guidance to, and work cooperatively with, the Board of Directors to assist in the implementation of a comprehensive development program.
- Assure that organizational goals, objectives, and activities are established, reviewed by the Board, and are consistent with evolving community needs.
- Maintain and monitor internal fiscal controls and submit required reports to the Board.
- Considerable knowledge of the current social and economic challenges and the way they impact individuals and families.
- Demonstrated understanding of working relationship with governmental, state, and federal contracts and entities.
- Ability to create collaborations and partnerships that advance the mission.
- Strategic, forward thinker with the capacity to forecast opportunities and trends.
- Extensive knowledge of current administrative practices and procedures, budgeting and fiscal management, public administration, and personnel management.
- Demonstrated progressive leadership experience and successful management of a high performing team.
- Undergraduate degree required and advanced degree preferred.
Instructions for applicants
Please email all items below, combined into one document, to FSNEW@leadingtransitions.com no later than 5:00 p.m. CT on April 14, 2021:
1. A letter describing your qualifications for this President & CEO position, including your specific interest in Family Services' mission and a description of your salary parameters; addressed to:
Mindy Lubar Price
Leading Transitions LLC
1345 North Jefferson St., Suite 350
Milwaukee, WI 53202
2. A detailed and updated resume; and
3. The names of, your relationship to, and contact information for, three professional references.